Best eco-friendly foot forward for the New Year





Experimenting with Eco-dyed textiles in preparation for Southbroom Infants wall hanging project


I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to develop and deliver several workshops to produce a collaborative textile wall hanging in a local primary school. What a thrill! I’ll finally be able to dust of my trusty tea vats and experiment with a variety of dyeing mediums and techniques, namely, Shibori and bundle dyeing. I will also be incorporating machine embroidery, reverse and standard applique to the wall hanging.

Dyeing - what’s happened so far…

I've always dyed with Procion MX or Dylon dyes in the past but that was until I fell in love with my allotment, growing and in a broader sense, nature. It hadn't even occurred to me that what I grow and forage can be used to dye fabric and is so much Eco-friendlier.  Although natural dyes, mordants and modifiers can be toxic, it lifts my heart to know that I don't have to worry quite so much about the use of dangerous, toxic and often non-environmentally friendly chemicals, plus they can be such a bloody faff!

This morning I was out with my sweet Cockapoo dog Phoebelicous, foraging for the Oak Galls I often see on the lovely, albeit muddy, walk that takes in the murky and meandering waters of the river Avon. This has been a fruitful spot for me in the past, foraging Crab Apples, Rosehip and Blackberries for my Christmas jelly (jam).

Today I'm starting with the Japanese tie dye, Shibori. As there's not a lot going on at my allotment or in my garden now, I've ordered some natural dyes: Indigo, Birch Bark, Alkanet, Goldenrod, Madder, St. John’s Wort and Safflower, I hope a good selection of colours that I can experiment with.


Luckily fabric doesn't need to be pre-mordanted when using Indigo, so I can crack on and experiment whilst my foraged Oak Galls are bubbling away in the background, releasing their Tannin ready to soak my left-over fabric in for more playing later in the week.

I really enjoyed experimenting with a variety of Shibori techniques, such as, tied and stitch resist, Arashi, larch, running stitch etc. I welcomed the therapeutic and contemplative task of required hand stitching for these techniques, but the inner seamstress not being able to resist the pull of her sewing machine, I did use it for a couple of Arashi experiments and loved the outcome, it was effective.

Experiments

  Maki-age (tied resist)

  Itajime (folded/bound/clamp resist)

  Maki-nui (oversewn stitch)

  Ne-maki (tied resist)
  
  Indigo dye

  Dye vat

  Indigo dye and Shibori samples

  A few samples of Indigo dyed Shibori

 Larch resist


Larch and tied resist


The above sample as inspired by Caen Hill Lock in Devizes (left).


















I’ve always found it a good idea to experiment and feel through your ideas before taking on the final project, it’s helped me understand what I need to change, improve and research before I commit and take the plunge with final fabrics. I’ll be looking at other dye colours and working the dyed samples next….



Comments