Eco-dyeing


Progress so far...


As I mentioned in a previous post I foraged for Oak galls to mordant my cotton and linen fabrics, I also used a little silk as an after thought and so hadn't used an appropriate mordant, but the results were still pretty good.

  Goldenrod, birch bark, brazilwood (responsibly sourced) and dyers alkanet. 


I was really pleasantly pleased with the outcome of the natural dyes above, the brazilwood blew my mind, such an intense pink colour. I experimented with using an acid and alkaline bath to modify the colours and it was a thrill to see the quick change in the colour.

I also had a little play with Shibori techniques, but only touch on it briefly, so will come back to it with my next batch.


I'll be looking at a bigger variety of plants next, checking what's easily available to me in my garden (beady eyes currently on bay leaves, fern and dogwood) and then look to bundle dyeing. 

Comments